SoundExchange develops business solutions to benefit the entire music industry. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of nearly 175,000 recording artists and master rights owners accounts and administers direct agreements on behalf of rights owners and licensees. To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $5 billion in royalties. SXWorks, a SoundExchange subsidiary, acquired the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency Ltd. (CMRRA) which represents music publishers and administers the majority of songs recorded, sold and broadcast in Canada.
Under the direct supervision of the Accounting Manager, the Accountant will be an integral member of the Accounting Operations team. The individual will be a significant contributor to the month-end accounting close and reporting process, performing a variety of routine and non-routine daily accounting functions for SoundExchange, Inc and Subsidiaries. The ideal candidate will have an ability to apply generally accepted accounting principles, relevant work experience in a private or public accounting setting and ability to complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Responsible for various aspects of treasury management and reporting for domestic and foreign cash and investment accounts, related to analyzing transactions, preparing and recording journal entries. Reconcile accounts and utilize banking portals to initiate activity, reporting and research. Provide information and respond to internal and external verification inquiries. Process cash disbursements and receipts.
- Responsible for various aspects of the day-to-day accounting operations. Prepare journal entries and monthly account reconciliations for assigned balance sheet accounts within the closing schedule deadlines and resolve reconciling items on a timely basis.
- Perform budget to actual variance analysis for assigned departments, ensuring transactions are properly recorded and classified and fluctuations are researched and well documented.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly and quarterly financial packages and KPIs for senior management and Board of Directors. Provide responses to accounting and financial inquiries by researching and interpreting data.
- Assist with the preparation and filing of Corporate, State and Local Tax Returns for SoundExchange, Inc and Subsidiaries, Form 990 and other compliance reporting. Maintain documentation supporting compliance requirements.
- Responsible for recording newly-acquired fixed assets (both tangible and intangible), tracking existing fixed assets, recording depreciation, and accounting for the disposition of fixed assets in Fixed Assets sub-ledger. Reconcile balances in the fixed asset sub-ledger to the general ledger; monitor a system of controls and procedures for the recordation and inventory of fixed assets
- Assist with review, posting and reporting for Accounts Payable and T&E transactions. Assist with providing information and responding to internal and external inquiries related to Accounts Payable and T&E transactions.
- Support external interim and year-end compliance work such as but not limited to financial audit and 401k audit by preparing and reviewing audit schedules and reports as listed on PBCs.
- Identify and implement process improvements to increase efficiency and accuracy of underlying accounting records and accounting systems/applications and reduce time to close.
- Engage in various department and company-wide initiatives and complete/lead other ad hoc projects to support management reporting and analysis requirements.
- Assist with administrative tasks
- Assist in the training of team members
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Two years of relevant experience in Accounting or Finance role
- Working knowledge of GAAP and other accounting concepts and experience in their application
- General ledger experience (month-end close, reconciliations and full cycle general ledger) required
- Ability to work independently and with teams across SoundExchange, Inc and Subsidiaries
- Highly detail oriented with attention to accuracy
- Ability to prioritize multiple/concurrent tasks, identify issues and resolve problems, and to meet deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other MIS tools.
- Experience with Great Plains or large ERP system a plus
- Experience with Concur Travel & Expense module or other online T&E reporting tools a plus
- Strong work ethic, organizational and written/verbal communication skills
- Self-starter, detail-oriented with strong analytical, interpersonal skills
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.