SoundExchange provides royalty solutions for sound recordings and publishing, serving as a critical backbone to today’s digital music industry. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 202,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts. Its technology solutions help turn massive amounts of data into accurate revenue for creators and include: Music Data Exchange (MDX), International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search, and the Notice of Intention to Use (NOI) LOOKUP. To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $6 billion in royalties.
Under the direct supervision of the Controller, this position will be responsible for the consolidation process, technical accounting updates assessment and implementation of process improvement projects. This includes the production of monthly and annual consolidated and standalone financial statements, ensuring that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and accurately reflect the organization’s activities; researching potential impact of new accounting standards and the implementation of any identified changes; identifying and implementing process improvement projects. The ideal candidate will have strong technical accounting skills, working knowledge of GAAP, relevant work experience in a private and public accounting setting and ability to combine technical and management responsibilities with doing hands on accounting work.
- Responsible for the consolidation process including the recording and review of consolidating entries, reconciliation of intercompany and investment in subsidiary and other complex related transactions
- Review of system generated consolidated and stand-alone balance sheet and income statement monthly
- Prepare flux analysis on consolidated balance sheet and income statement monthly
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, including cash flows, footnotes and disclosures in accordance with GAAP
- Analyze and reconcile translation adjustment transactions
- Assist with month-end close and timely completion of deliverables according to the close calendar, including the review of journal entries in accordance with GAAP, review of assigned balance sheet account reconciliations and coordination/planning of close deliverables
- Ensure intercompany transactions are handled with accuracy and reconciled monthly to ensure proper elimination.
- Deliver timely, accurate and insightful reporting and analysis on consolidated and standalone financial statements (balance sheet, income statement, cash flows…)
- Research potential impact of new accounting standards, document impact and implement changes
- Serve as the technical GAAP expert for the team on various areas including new accounting standard updates, or the treatment of existing transactions for the organization and its subsidiaries
- Assist with quarterly reviews and annual audits conducted by external auditors, including coordinating audits, PBCs and serving as a liaison
- Identify and implement process improvements as part of continuous improvement initiatives
- Undertake and manage special projects and other reporting needs as required
- Demonstrate commitment to company core values, including a positive attitude and customer service towards internal and external parties
- Serve as back up and step in where needed to complete department and organization deliverables and goals
- CPA required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Finance or equivalent degree from a four-year college or university with three to five years of relevant work experience with one to two years of work experience in a managerial role required.
- Strong technical knowledge and application of GAAP and financial reporting requirements including financial statements and financial statements footnotes
- Strong understanding of general ledger systems and foreign currency translation
- Public accounting/audit experience is a plus
- Experience preparing and analyzing monthly financial reporting packages and financial statements
- Ability to understand issues, demonstrate resourcefulness and pro-actively and creatively resolve problems
- Ability to organize and concisely present verbal and written communications, including providing guidance to junior staff members, presenting accounting information to non accountants, drafting accounting memos
- Ability to work independently and with teams across SoundExchange, Inc and Subsidiaries
- Ability to prioritize multiple/concurrent tasks, identify issues and resolve problems, and to meet deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with minimal supervision
- Must have strong Microsoft Office and other computer skills (proficient use of Excel and Power Point required)
- Experience with Great Plains or large ERP system a plus
- Experience/participation in an ERP system implementation a plus
- Experience/exposure with tax preparation and reporting a plus
- Strong work ethic and team player
- Highly organized, detail-oriented with strong analytical skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed, must have demonstrated ability to work well with people
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.