SoundExchange works at the center of digital music, developing business solutions to benefit the entire music industry. SoundExchange collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 155,000 recording artists and master rights owners and administers direct agreements on behalf of rights owners and licensees. The company also serves music publishers through the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency (CMRRA). To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $5 billion in royalties.
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Controller, this position will manage a team and oversee the daily operations of the finance department, which includes the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
The Accounting Manager’s primary functions will include but are not limited to:
- Manage the day to day activities of the Finance Department’s Accounting operations which includes initiating and recording all transactions related to accounts payable, distributions, employee expense reimbursements, salaries and benefits, royalty collections, investments, prepaid expenses, fixed assets, capitalized software costs, leases and intercompany transactions for four legal entities, etc.
- Manage monthly, quarterly and annual close process and timelines, including reviewing reconciliations for accuracy and the preparation and review of various internal and external reports and the stand-alone and consolidated financial statements within required close timeline.
- Manage the financial statement and 401K audits, including coordinating and managing audit timeline, preparing and reviewing audit work papers and the audit report.
- Manage the preparation and filing of Form 990 and all other compliance reporting such as sales & use tax, property tax, escheat laws and other related areas
- Research and propose accounting treatment for complex accounting issues
- Ensure designated internal controls are in place, monitoring effectiveness of controls and recommending and/or implementing changes as required
- Maintain an accurate general ledger and accounting system
- Serve as a day to day contact for staff, management, and other departments by researching and implementing accounting treatment for transactions where necessary
- Manage, train and evaluate designated staff within the Finance Department.
- Prepare ad hoc reports as needed
- Document department policies and procedures
The Accounting Manager must have a Bachelor’s in Accounting or Finance or equivalent degree from a four-year college or university with six to eight years of relevant work experience with one to two years of work experience in a managerial role, CPA required. The Accounting Manager will combine superior work ethic with an analytical mind and must have a “hands on” management style. The Accounting Manager should possess an understanding of larger company management concepts but also have exposure to medium size company operations. Prior experience in audit practice of a public accounting firm or in a Finance department of a company is preferred. Other skills include:
- Knowledge of GAAP and other accounting concepts and experience in their application
- Experience managing an accounting operations department and involvement in the daily/monthly closing procedures, journal entries, reconciliations and controls
- Experience preparing and analyzing monthly financial reporting packages and financial statements
- Experience with Great Plains or large ERP system a plus
- Experience with Concur Travel & Expense module a plus
- Exposure to an annual budgeting and forecasting process a plus
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and other MIS tools
- Highly organized with excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Detail oriented
- Strong work ethic and team player
- CPA required
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.