SoundExchange develops business solutions to benefit the entire music industry. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of nearly 175,000 recording artists and master rights owners accounts and administers direct agreements on behalf of rights owners and licensees. To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $5 billion in royalties. SXWorks, a SoundExchange subsidiary, acquired the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency Ltd. (CMRRA) which represents music publishers and administers the majority of songs recorded, sold and broadcast in Canada.
Washington, DC-based non-profit entertainment organization is seeking a Communications Specialist to support the internal and external communications efforts of our organization. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work both independently and with the team in a dynamic and growing organization. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, time management capability, a positive demeanor, and willingness to put in extra hours when required. This position is ideal for a self-starter who can prioritize competing demands and demonstrate responsibility.
The individual will be a critical member to the communications department in a growing organization. S/he will be expected to report into the VP of Communications.
Specific Communications Responsibilities:
- Leverage and develop artist testimonials (written, photo and video) for media outreach, external newsletter; collaborate with digital media coordinator to promote online.
- Assist with drafting, compiling, editing and producing internal and external newsletters to report regular updates and activities to our key constituents.
- Assist with coordinating various media requests and pitching news stories to reporters.
- Distribute press releases and other press correspondence.
- Build and maintain newsletter distribution lists and media contact lists.
- Work with digital team to ensure we leverage social media properties to communicate our messages. Monitor and update website.
- Develop media backgrounders in preparation for interviews.
- Assist with the creating and maintaining basic PR tools (press kits, online media room, staff bios, awards submissions, editorial calendars and speaker calendars).
- Prepare internal clip packages and assist with quarterly analysis of press coverage
- Assist with Board reporting process.
Skills and Specifications:
- Must be creative, able to see the big picture while focusing on details.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including the ability to write clear, crisp and grammatically correct content.
- Ability to distill often complex information into more user-accessible text without compromising message and content.
- Outstanding organization and planning skills, with attention to meticulous detail.
- Ability to stay focused, efficient and effective in managing multiple priorities.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field.
- 1-3 years related experience, and basic knowledge for working with the press.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé and writing sample to email@example.com.