SoundExchange provides royalty solutions for sound recordings and publishing, serving as a critical backbone to today’s digital music industry. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 202,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts. Its technology solutions help turn massive amounts of data into accurate revenue for creators and include: Music Data Exchange (MDX), International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search, and the Notice of Intention to Use (NOI) LOOKUP. To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $6 billion in royalties.
The Corporate Development Analyst will be a core member of the Corporate Development team that is helping to drive long-term revenue and growth for the SoundExchange Companies. This person will play a key role in supporting the identification, planning and execution of new strategic business opportunities. In this role, you will develop deep knowledge of both the sound recording and publishing sides of the music business, including the licensing, rights management and royalty distribution ecosystems. Ideal candidates will be able communicate business opportunities across teams and grasp complex operational and technical processes of business solutions. The Analyst will be someone who likes to wear multiple hats, work with cross functional teams and present information in clear and concise ways. You are excited about solving problems to improve the effectiveness and efficiency for how musicians get paid. This position reports to the Director of Corporate Development.
- Support assessment and business planning of opportunities by conducting research and analysis around target customers, customer value propositions, market sizing, competitive landscapes, monetization, operational execution, route to market and financial impact.
- Ability to coordinate with cross functional teams, including IT, operations, communications, finance and legal, to develop business processes and workflows and identify and document business requirements.
- Assist in project managing execution of opportunities both internally and externally.
- Develop and maintain internal communications that assist in team and cross functional coordination, such as business development pipeline and internal Confluence pages.
- Assist in annual 5 year strategic planning process and ad-hoc requests as they arise.
- Keep informed of news, trends and new business models in the industry.
Skills / Abilities:
- Team player with the ability to build strong, successful relationships both externally and internally. Ability to collaborate effectively with cross functional teams.
- Ability to think strategically and problem solve. Comfort with managing evolving business needs and being scrappy to get things done.
- Excellent ability to research, synthesize and distill new business ideas and operational processes quickly.
- Highly organized and detail conscious with the ability to manage project timelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including PowerPoint presentation experience.
- Ability to complete financial analysis using Excel.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn SQL is a plus.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Visio is a plus.
- 4-6 years of professional experience, preferably music business related. Prior product management, business development, investment banking or strategic management consulting experience is a plus.
- BA or BS degree.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.