SoundExchange provides royalty solutions for sound recordings and publishing, serving as a critical backbone to today’s digital music industry. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 185,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts. Its technology solutions help turn massive amounts of data into accurate revenue for creators and include: Music Data Exchange (MDX), International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search, and the Notice of Intention to Use (NOI) LOOKUP. To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $6 billion in royalties.
The Director of Accounting will be a strategic thought-partner, reporting directly to the VP of Finance. This position will be a hands on manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support SX and all subsidiaries (including international entities) in areas of accounting, tax, audit and all other compliance functions. Duties include but are not limited to: oversee and or prepare all monthly and annual consolidated and standalone entity financial statements, annual and monthly tax reporting and returns, cash flow analysis, payroll; annual independent financial statement audits; prepare and/or review compliance filings including 990, maintain all banking relationships, insurance, consolidations/intercompany; and other duties as assigned.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains department’s accounting team organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization and department goals and objectives; recruits, employs, trains, supervises, and evaluates accounting department staff.
- Establishes and implements short-term and long-range accounting departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates program effectiveness; effects changes required for improvement.
- Monitors, oversees and implements all applicable GAAP technical pronouncements and tax regulations that apply.
- Oversees all accounting functions for SX and all subsidiaries (monthly closes, audits, compliance matters, intercompany, consolidations, distributions, cash collections, accounts payable, payroll, taxes, etc.).
- Oversees preparation of monthly and annual external financial statements, audit reports and related compliance reports (i.e. Form 990, 1099’s, 1042’, 5500, 1120’s, etc.), and other informational reports and requests; ensures accuracy and integrity of financial reporting.
- Ensures proper internal controls are in place and operating effectively in all facets of accounting related operations basis.
- Manages and maintains audit, banking and other key vendor relationships.
- Participates in a wide variety of special projects and compiles a variety of special reports.
- Participates in various systems development project meetings and evaluating requirements and incorporation with financial systems.
- Serves as back-up to the VP of Finance for internal or external meetings as deemed necessary.
- Ensure compliance with tax laws and regulations.
- Oversees monthly distributions are accounted for accurately and timely processed.
- Manages all general ledger and financial reporting functions and tools including account administration, security controls, reporting. Ensures monthly general ledger accounts or reconciliations of accounts are prepared and reviewed on a monthly basis.
- Oversees monitoring of cash, line of credit, and investment activity. Formulates and implements effective cash management strategies in conjunction with VP of Finance.
- Provide timely assistance to all functional areas of the organization
- Work closely and collaboratively with the VP of Finance to ensure that all expectations of the accounting department are met.
- Responsible for maintaining adequate insurance levels and monitoring risk for multiple insurance policies ensuring needs of the Company are met
Skills and Qualifications:
- CPA required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from four/five-year college or university and 15-20years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong technical GAAP accounting (IFRS beneficial), analytical and organizational skills in order to ensure that the normal daily, weekly and monthly tasks of the Accounting Department are carried out on schedule and without errors.
- Creative problem-solving skills in order to identify and implement new and modified systems, policies and procedures to improve accounting operations, internal processes and financial information.
- Extensive experience in implementing, operating and documenting complex automated applications
- Ability to organize and concisely present verbal and written communications.
- Developed managerial competencies are essential as well as strong interpersonal skills so that the position can work collaboratively with departmental managers, and company executives. The Director of Accounting is the primary point of contact for other staff concerning accounting, technical GAAP and tax questions.
- Must be knowledgeable of the accounting and reporting requirements of Internal Revenue Code sections relevant to not-for-profit organizations. For profit tax and IFRS experience a plus.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in taking complicated financial information and presenting it in the form (financial and written) that is easily understandable and meaningful to an audience that is not well-versed in financial terms.
- Must have strong Microsoft Office and other computer skills (proficient use of Excel and Power Point required).
- Experience with automated accounting systems (Great Plains is preferred) is essential, especially in the evaluation of alternative systems to meet an organization’s needs, design of charts of accounts, developing and implementing reports, and transferring financial data to spreadsheet programs for further analysis and reporting. Experience in an environment which integrates financial accounting (the General Ledger) with operational systems in highly desirable.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.