SoundExchange develops business solutions to benefit the entire music industry. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of nearly 175,000 recording artists and master rights owners accounts and administers direct agreements on behalf of rights owners and licensees. To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $5 billion in royalties. SXWorks, a SoundExchange subsidiary, acquired the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency Ltd. (CMRRA) which represents music publishers and administers the majority of songs recorded, sold and broadcast in Canada.
The Director of Corporate Development will play an integral role in the development and expansion of services offered by the SoundExchange Companies with a focus on supporting strategy formulation and execution. The Director will take ownership of select partner relationships and serve as a key member of the team in evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and executing agreements with clients and service delivery partners. This position will report to the Chief Corporate Development Officer.
- Develop relationships and find new ways to drive SoundExchange Company revenues; create new opportunities to monetize and repurpose the company’s royalty administration platforms and overall assets
- Identify, plan, and execute new strategic service opportunities to help drive long-term global revenue and customer growth.
- Analyze potential new lines of business including market potential, competitive landscape, financials and customer acquisition potential.
- Actively source opportunities for partnerships and acquisitions
- Manage research, evaluation, and negotiation to expand the sources of revenue. Serve as a dealmaker for new initiatives and partnerships (may act as chief negotiator pending the nature of the deal)
- Maintains high-level, customer relationships during transition period to delivery for any new deals
Skills / Abilities:
- Creative thinker with extensive knowledge of music industry economics including a strong understanding of the media landscape, emerging technologies, the royalty ecosystem and how they are evolving. Proven strategy and business development experience a must, including building and analyzing business plans, creating financial models, performing strategic analysis, and seeing deals through to successful close.
- Team player with the ability to build strong, successful relationships both externally and internally founded on collaboration
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including presentation experience
- Exceptional financial analysis and negotiation skills
- Results driven with a desire to change the way the industry works 5 to 10 years’ experience at a media company (digital service provider experience preferred)
- Prior experience at a global investment bank, or top-tier management consultancy also preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree required (or equivalent experience)
- MBA or JD Preferred
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.