Title: Director of Communications
Reports To: Senior Vice President, Executive Office
Supervisory Role: Yes
FLSA Status: FLSA Status
SoundExchange is the premier music tech organization on a mission to power the future of music. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 560,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts and to date has paid more than $9 billion in distributions. Through unparalleled innovation of financial tech products and services, it distributes royalties to creator groups, advocates for fair pay across platforms, and creates systems that improve how the industry operates. Its proprietary fintech solutions help turn data into accurate revenue for creators and include Music Data Exchange (MDX) and International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search.
The Director of Communications is responsible for defining and executing comprehensive, internal and external communications strategies to build awareness and equity for SoundExchange and its portfolio of assets. The leader will work closely with senior management to understand and message the SoundExchange story as the organization continues to evolve, expand its offerings and undergo a long-view business transformation. This high-performing, results-driven individual reports directly into the SVP, Executive Office at SoundExchange.
The company is based in Washington, D.C. This full-time role could be based anywhere in the continental United States.
- Develop a comprehensive communication strategy, in collaboration with other key leaders, that articulates SoundExchange’s vital role in the music-tech, and music-payments community, as well as telling the story of its next generation mission and solutions.
- Create synergistic and cohesive messaging across the business in collaboration with key stakeholders, overseeing communications initiatives and programs including executive and CEO level communications, corporate messaging, board communications, and creator content across a variety of platforms.
- Work closely with SVP, Executive Office to create ongoing thought leadership programs for the CEO and other key senior executives. This includes preparation and execution of written materials and content for speaking engagements, media interviews, bylines and op-eds, panel, and conference appearances, etc.
- Recruit, develop and mentor a team of high-performing communications professionals, including management of external agency partners and consultants.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Industry Engagement teams on advertising strategies and campaigns, including development of content, campaign design, placements and coordination of conferences and industry events.
- Work with key stakeholders to create content to market products and new business initiatives to potential clients.
- Manage corporate social media and digital content development, and distribution of said content across all platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Create and promote strategic storylines emphasizing the essential role SoundExchange has played in creating trusted rights and payment solutions in for creators and its ongoing role in safeguarding and evolving rights and solutions for creators leveraging new and emerging areas and uses in the Web 3.0 age.
- Work with HR and other key stakeholders to develop and execute strategies for internal communications in a hybrid or remote work setting.
Required Education, Certifications/ Licenses, Related Experience
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in communications in the music or entertainment industry.
- Impeccable writing skills, a knack for narrative creation and storytelling and an ability to communicate clearly and effectively with varied audiences.
- Proven leadership and people management skills, with experience leading a team of communications professionals in various geographic locations.
- Significant digital and social media experience, with ability to adapt to new platforms.
- Strong project management skills and proven ability to navigate a fluid and dynamic environment with multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Highest levels of ethics, work ethic and engagement.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent experience preferred
- The person in this position may need to move about the corporate offices less than half the time
- This position requires the ability to spend more than half the time viewing computer monitors
- The person in this position must be able to identify and distinguish between colors all of the time
- This position requires overnight domestic travel less than 25% of the time
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered, commensurate with the role and the relevant experience of the final hire.
SoundExchange is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Further, the company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all applicants, employees, members and partners.
Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. Employees who are not fully vaccinated will not be permitted to access SoundExchange offices until they are fully vaccinated. As a condition of employment, all SoundExchange employees will be required to be fully vaccinated. SoundExchange will provide reasonable accommodations for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply or recommend a qualified candidate, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.