Title: Lead Software Engineer (Rights Sound Recording)
Reports To: Director, Engineering (SR Rights and Distribution Processing)
Supervisory Role: Yes
FLSA Status: Exempt
SoundExchange collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 260,000 creators and to date has paid nearly $9 billion in distributions. Through innovation in music tech products and services, it distributes royalties to creator groups, advocates for fair pay across platforms, and creates systems that improve how the industry operates. Its proprietary music tech solutions help turn data into accurate revenue for creators and include Music Data Exchange (MDX) and International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search.
The Lead Software Engineer for our Sound Recording Rights Management team will be a key contributor to full lifecycle software development while coaching, leading, and mentoring their small technical team. This role oversees the technical details and day-to-day execution of all new features and operational activities within the development team in collaboration with the team project manager. The Lead Engineer is a critical element in our agile delivery process for new features and capabilities to support our growing musical royalty’s platform.
- You will lead and direct the work of others and assist in the direction of the engineering organization by developing, releasing, integrating, maintaining, and supporting software applications and systems according to business needs
- You will also be a hands-on lead developer that excels in a dynamic, fast-moving, and agile environment and is passionate about developing high quality, scalable software
- You will be familiar with a variety of enterprise software engineering concepts, models, practices, and processes. You will rely on your considerable experience and judgment to plan and implement new features and platform capabilities
- Manage a small team of full stack engineers
- Collaborate across small Agile teams to design, develop, test, and support data driven solutions
- Play a hands-on role in software development projects and activities
- Oversee the delivery of engineering initiatives and projects
- Facilitate architecture discussions and decision-making both within their team and coordination with interfacing teams
- Interface with key project stakeholders, mentor team members, and promote and improve software engineering practices
- Demonstrate responsibility, accountability, and dedication to engineering team success
- Assist company IT leadership with technology strategy and roadmap
- Establish and promote use of technologies and processes that lower risk and increase efficiency
- Support and improve established software development standards and best practices
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
- Proficiency at designing and developing software using many of the following: Java (Spring Boot, JPA/Hibernate), SQL (Postgres), AWS (S3, EC2, RDS)
- Proficiency in Agile software development methodology, processes, and practices
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively with team members and business partners
Nice to have Skills or Qualifications:
- Experience with the following AWS services: Athena, ECS/Fargate, Step Functions, Lambdas, Aurora
- Experience with Angular and Typescript
- Experience with scaling to work with large data sets
- Experience designing and developing microservices or other distributed systems
- Proficiency at designing relational data models and working with relational databases
- Experience with Terraform or other infrastructure as code technologies
Required Education, Certifications/ Licenses, Related Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent technical field
- Six or more years of overall software engineering experience
- This position has no travel requirements (local candidates)
- This position requires overnight domestic travel quarterly, four times a year (remote candidates)
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected].
Click here to learn more about SoundExchange.
Note: Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. As a condition of employment, all SoundExchange employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, effective January 1st, 2022. SoundExchange will provide reasonable accommodations for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.