SoundExchange works at the center of digital music, developing business solutions to benefit the entire music industry. SoundExchange collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 155,000 recording artists and master rights owners and administers direct agreements on behalf of rights owners and licensees. The company also serves music publishers through the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency (CMRRA). To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $4.5 billion in royalties.
At SoundExchange, our software platform is a set of federated systems that are highly scalable, accurate, and modular. Systems run on an open-source stack and are deployed to a large AWS cloud-based infrastructure. We are seeking an individual to become a member of our DevOps Engineering team. This individual will be a team member developing and enhancing our DevOps automation capabilities. This person will be a Senior DevOps Engineer that excels in a dynamic, fast-moving, and agile environment and is passionate about developing solutions that support the development and operations of high quality and highly available software. The individual should have a background in Systems Engineering and DevOps.
This person will help design and implement new DevOps capabilities and enhance existing capabilities. Among the areas of focus are the build and maintenance of our Continuous Integration, Configuration Management, and Deployment Automation capabilities. Additional responsibilities include the design and implementation of solutions that increase resiliency, security, and proactive monitoring of our deployed systems and the AWS infrastructure. Person should be proficient at Systems Engineering and DevOps concepts, best practices, and processes. Reports to the Lead Systems Engineer.
- Enforce, maintain, and improve Systems Engineering and DevOps guidelines, standards, and best practices.
- Assist with determining guidelines and standards for deploying to Amazon Web Services Cloud infrastructure.
- Become a subject matter expert on Amazon Web Services.
- Provide Systems Engineering and DevOps support to Software Engineering and IT operations teams.
- Work with internal and external personnel that are building and enhancing our DevOps tools and practices.
- Determine best practices, guidelines and standards for the configuration of application deployment containers: Apache Web Server, Apache Tomcat, and Jetty, databases: Postgres, and servers: Redhat-variant Linux
- Create and maintain automated scripts that will build, configure, deploy and test deployed applications.
- Develop solutions that will provide monitoring, logging, and alerting capabilities for deployed software.
- Create and maintain scripts to automate cloud operations and cost optimization.
- Assist with determining system and application security requirements and developing security solutions.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of system and application runbooks.
- Evaluate Engineering tools that provide value to the support of Operations of deployed software.
- Leverage, maintain, and enhance our 3rdparty engineering tools, including Jenkins, Stash (Git), Pingdom, NewRelic.
- Provide Dev, Test, and Production environment operational support; assist with troubleshooting system-level issues and assist with designing and developing solutions to prevent future issues.
- Leverage and follow Agile/Kanban project delivery practices and techniques, as needed.
- Interface with key stakeholders in Project Management, Engineering, and Infrastructure to ensure high quality delivery of software projects.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent field; work experience may be considered as a substitute.
- At least 5 years of experience in Systems Engineering. Familiar with IT automation tools like Ansible (ideal), Puppet or Chef.
- At least 3 years of experience building capabilities and deploying to AWS, including strong use of: EC2, RDS, ELB, S3, Cloudformation, Lambda, VPC.
- At least 3 years of experience writing BASH, and Python or PERL scripts.
- Experience working with and developing against APIs.
- Proficient in developing Systems Engineering solutions to help achieve highly available, highly scalable systems.
- Proficient at Linux based Systems Administration, including use of best practices for system-level security, configuration management, and performance monitoring of deployed servers.
- Proficient understanding of network security considerations, including use of isolated networks, VPN, SSL, SSH, and firewalls, to secure systems and networks.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Proven solid analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with others.
- Comfortable supporting fast-paced development teams.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.