This role is responsible for the successful management of the Music Publishing rights management services, functions, processes provided to all internal and external music publisher customers. The Senior Director, Music Publishing Rights Management will manage the end to end publishing rights and repertoire management function at SoundExchange, working closely and coordinating with the various operational functions.
This role provides an exciting opportunity to play a significant part in delivering and maintaining products that will benefit the music industry. You will need to have a problem-solving and inquisitive mindset whilst bringing an operational, product development skill set. This role will lead the research and resolution of music publishing rights data, including errors and anomalies, responding in a timely manner to internal and external customers.
Reporting to the VP Publisher Services the Senior Director, Music Publishing Rights Management will oversee and participate in all music publishing rights and repertoire activities. As a member to the publisher services team you will work closely with SoundExchange Operations, Customer Services, Business Process and Product management and Business Development teams, as well as and be responsible for the maintenance of publishing rights and repertoire of under a shared services model, additionally this role will provide input, and guidance on metadata standards and music publishing rights matters.
Key duties & responsibilities:
- Responsible for leading all aspects of Publishing Rights and Repertoire Management for SoundExchange
- Work as an active and contributory member of the Music Publisher Services team, participate in development of new and on-going services,
- Manage the workload and workflow across all Music Publishing Rights processes, setting priorities appropriately.
- Develop and maintain the necessary relationships across the business to ensure optimal service to the business and clients
- Work closely with SoundExchange subsidiaries and Shared Service teams to ensure the successful delivery of internal/external service levels and key performance indicators
- Consult and coordinate with product managers, product owners and key stakeholders regarding music publishing rights.
- Collaborate and consult with SoundExchange IT teams to agree Music publishing rights priorities. Identifying cross project dependencies and manage risks and issues.
- Provide constructive leadership, active management and mentoring to team members, developing them as professionals to deliver increasingly high standards.
- Assist in advocating and ensuring the use of best practices and the use of industry standards e.g. DDEX, CWR etc.
- Continuously improve internal methodologies, processes, data standards, and best practices
- Develop and implement standardized workflows for team activities
- Develop, track and analyze metrics to measure and ensure department objectives are attained
- Attract, retain, train, and motivate staff; with a strong focus on the development and mentoring of team members
- Track record for effectively managing and monitoring publishing rights processes and activities
- As necessary research musical work-related information such as interested parties, song & recording data
- Research and respond to copyright counterclaims & disputes
- Ad hoc projects and responsibilities as required
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience
- Experienced manager able to create and implement project plans, setting goals and meeting targets
- 7 plus years of business experience in publishing rights operations and administration with experience working through complex issues.
- Deep understanding of copyright, licensing, and royalty administration and the systems and processes necessary to operate and scale music publishing rights management operations
- Experience with working with and understanding music publishing agreements and copyrighted musical works.
- Experience of working within the music publishing and/or collective management organization.
- Provide and share subject matter expertise, industry knowledge across the SoundExchange organization
- Knowledge and insight on the use of data research & analytics within music publishing
- Proven record as a manager with experience managing system integrations, data migration and working within a shared service operations model. The ability to work on a day to day basis without daily direction, self-manage the team through individual tasks and priorities
- Experience and knowledge of international music industry standards and formats across the music publishing ecosystem e.g. DDEX, CWR etc.
- Ability to explain financials and analysis including royalty calculations related to music publishing rights
- Follows through on open issues though to resolution, meets deadlines in an efficient and effective way
- Provide subject matter expertise to internal team members ensuring a full understanding of the end to end music publishing business and value chain.
- Promote a customer orientated culture improving client service and relations
- Motivated and open to change with ability to bring new and practical ideas
- Know when to delegate tasks and deliver quality output.
- Advocate for the needs of creators and right owners across the industry.
- Communicate and express issues in a clear and logical way to colleagues with various level of expertise
- Excellent MS Office skills, particularly Excel as well as being comfortable working with multiple data sets.
- Must be able to multi-task and manage multiple high priority projects
- Able to manage large data volumes from customized systems
- Project management skills essential
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.
Click here to learn more about SoundExchange.