SoundExchange develops business solutions to benefit the entire music industry. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of nearly 175,000 recording artists and master rights owners accounts and administers direct agreements on behalf of rights owners and licensees. To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $5 billion in royalties. SXWorks, a SoundExchange subsidiary, acquired the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency Ltd. (CMRRA) which represents music publishers and administers the majority of songs recorded, sold and broadcast in Canada.
The Sr. Manager, Media Relations will carry out the external communications strategy by leading the day-to-day media relations for SoundExchange. The Sr. Manager will manage all earned media channels, from traditional news outlets to blogs and social media.
The successful candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, prior management experience, a positive demeanor, willingness to put in extra hours when required, be detail oriented, and be adept at dynamically prioritizing many high-level projects and delivering them on deadline.
The individual will be a critical member to the Communications department. The position will report into the head of Communications.
Specific Communications Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage strategic and communications plans, from concept and planning to successful execution to meet stated objectives.
- Manage external facing presence in news outlets and in social media channels.
- Craft and edit compelling press releases, op-eds, newsletter articles and other external materials on various topics.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships both internally and externally, including: executives, reporters, editors and bloggers.
- Serve as first-level press contact for incoming media inquiries; manage awards and editorial calendars for the organization.
- Develop newsworthy pitches and media angles and generate news content in traditional, digital and social media platforms.
- Manage presence on social media.
- Oversee communications projects, manage production and external vendors.
- Support senior management in managing executive visibility, board reporting and internal employee communications efforts.
- Manage SX Social & Blog platforms
Skills and Specifications:
- Former experience working in music and/or entertainment and technology PR, along with strong marketing communications and public relations background.
- Experience managing corporate communications and/or serving as a media relations lead on complex issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees, reporters and partners.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding organization and project management skills, with ability to see big picture and have attention to meticulous detail.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Undergraduate degree plus masters or equivalent work experience required.
- Demonstrate strong leadership capabilities, mentoring and setting an example for junior staff.
- Prior PR experience required.
- Proven track record of landing national coverage, and ability to come up with new story angles.
- Successful track record of weaving social media and digital strategy.
- Ability to manage numerous critical deadlines simultaneously and manage projects while maintaining attention to detail and strong internal and external relationships.
- Prior experience in PR measurement and reporting results to executives.
- Flexibility to travel, if needed.
Not Required But Desired:
- Knowledge of and relationship with DC Press.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.