SoundExchange provides royalty solutions for sound recordings and publishing, serving as a critical backbone to today’s digital music industry. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 185,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts. Its technology solutions help turn massive amounts of data into accurate revenue for creators and include: Music Data Exchange (MDX), International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search, and the Notice of Intention to Use (NOI) LOOKUP. To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $6 billion in royalties.
Under the direct supervision of the Accounting Manager, the Staff Accountant will be an integral member of the Accounting team. The individual will be a significant contributor to the month-end accounting close process, performing a variety of routine and non-routine daily accounting functions for SoundExchange, Inc (Parent Company) and Subsidiaries and ensure appropriate account control procedures. This individual will be doing hands-on accounting work and assist with accounts payable related daily and monthly tasks. The ideal candidate will have an ability to apply generally accepted accounting principles, relevant work experience in a private or public accounting setting and ability to complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Responsible for various aspects of the day-to-day accounting functions for multiple entities, related to analyzing accounting transactions, preparing and recording of month-end journal entries for all facets of the monthly close process.
- Responsible for month-end close and timely completion of deliverables according to the close calendar, including the preparation of journal entries in accordance with GAAP and preparation of assigned balance sheet account reconciliation.
- Responsible for the accounting and reconciling of the Parent Company and Subsidiaries domestic and foreign cash and investment accounts.
- Analyze and record intercompany transactions with the parent company and subsidiaries. Ensure intercompany transactions are handled with accuracy and reconciled monthly to ensure proper elimination.
- Assist with Accounts Payable day-to-day functions including to but not limited to coding of invoices, monitoring invoice workflow in the automated Accounts Payable processing tool, processing of weekly check runs, and responding to internal and external inquiries related to Accounts Payable and T&E transactions.
- Assist with T&E expense reports according to proper accounting treatment and Company policy to ensure expense reports are accurately integrated into Great Plains in a timely manner. Assist with training new users on expense reporting tool and assist with performing system updates as necessary.
- Assist with preparing financial schedules used for internal senior management reporting purposes. Provide responses to accounting inquiries by researching and interpreting data.
- Support external interim and year-end compliance work such as but not limited to financial audit and 401k audit by preparing and reviewing audit schedules and reports as listed on PBCs.
- Identify and implement accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures and recommending changes.
- Assist with administrative tasks including but not limited to filing process for payables, journal entries, and related paperwork.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in Accounting or Finance role
- Working knowledge of GAAP and other accounting concepts and experience in their application
- General ledger experience (month-end close, reconciliations and full cycle general ledger) required
- Ability to work independently and with teams across SoundExchange, Inc and Subsidiaries
- Highly detail oriented with attention to accuracy
- Ability to prioritize multiple/concurrent tasks, identify issues and resolve problems, and to meet deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook.
- Experience with Great Plains a plus
- Experience with Concur Travel & Expense module or other online T&E reporting tools a plus
- Strong work ethic, organizational and written/verbal communication skills
- Self-starter, detail-oriented with strong analytical, interpersonal skills
- CPA designation preferred
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.