SoundExchange provides royalty solutions for sound recordings and publishing, serving as a critical backbone to today’s digital music industry. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 185,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts. Its technology solutions help turn massive amounts of data into accurate revenue for creators and include: Music Data Exchange (MDX), International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search, and the Notice of Intention to Use (NOI) LOOKUP. To date, SoundExchange has paid out more than $6 billion in royalties.
At SoundExchange, we have built an enterprise software platform to support our rapidly growing and changing business. Our new software platform is a set of cloud-native, federated systems that are highly scalable and modular, leveraging both custom-built and 3rd party components. We are seeking an individual to lead and grow our Engineering team and define and execute our software development strategy. This person will be an experienced senior engineering leader who excels in a dynamic, fast-moving, agile, cloud-based DevOps environment, and who is passionate about developing high quality, scalable software.
The VP of Engineering is responsible for the software and systems engineering functions, including: developing, releasing, integrating, maintaining, and supporting software applications and systems according to business needs and technology best practices for all SoundExchange companies. The person in this role will be familiar with a variety of enterprise software engineering concepts, models, practices, and processes. The VP relies on his/her considerable experience and judgment to estimate, plan, and accomplish goals. The person in this role performs a variety of tasks, leading and directing the work of the team. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is provided. S/he will also be responsible for building and maintaining the engineering team culture and morale. This role reports directly to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO).
- Recruit, develop, manage, and lead the Software and Systems Engineering teams, team leads, and technical directors. The department includes 30-40 software and systems (DevOps) engineers.
- Chief architect of the company’s core technology platform.
- Identify and promote the use of new technologies and processes that lower risk and increase efficiency.
- Facilitate architecture discussions and decision-making with other senior Engineering team members.
- Interface with key stakeholders in Project Management, Business and Technology Operations, and Corporate Development to ensure high quality delivery of software projects on time and budget.
- Lead by example in developing and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders in other functional areas; build and support a culture of collaboration and teamwork.
- Act as Engineering representative on Program Operating Committee.
- Oversee the estimation and delivery of engineering initiatives and projects
- Promote responsibility, accountability, and dedication to Engineering team success.
- Work with senior IT members on technology strategy, roadmap, and software development and delivery processes.
- Establish and ensure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements.
- Facilitate and ensure cross-project communication and technical discussions.
- Support and improve software development standards and best practices.
- Collaborate with engineering leads to select and maintain software development tools and frameworks.
- Ensure applications achieve a high level of security, quality, and maintainability.
- Actively manage and address software “technical debt”.
- Promote and provide direction towards our DevOps automation philosophy.
- Promote the use of cloud technologies for achieving highly secure, reliable, and performant systems.
- Leverage and follow agile software development practices and techniques. Work with senior management to influence the technology and business direction of the organization.
- Responsible for solving highly technical and complex problems.
- Mentor and develop direct reports to grow their management and leadership skills.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent technical field.
- At least 10 years of experience in software development, engineering and architecture.
- At least 3 years of experience in a VP of Engineering role or equivalent.
- Experience recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining software engineers.
- Experience leading a DevOps and agile-based Engineering organization.
- Ability to oversee multiple software projects or initiatives, concurrently.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Experience with teams developing Linux-based software using most of the following: Java, Python, Lightweight Web-frameworks (Django/Pylons/Rails), Angular, Twitter Bootstrap, Spring, Hibernate.
- Proficient at designing data models and working with relational and non-relational databases.
- Proficient in agile software development methodology, processes, and practices.
- Experience with service-oriented applications using RESTful web services.
- Experience with highly available, highly scalable software for financial- and transaction-oriented systems.
- Experience evaluating and leveraging 3rd party commercial and open source software.
- Strong experience with AWS and cloud-native systems and services.
- Excellent written and verbal communications and presentation skills.
- Proven solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.