Music Licensing Review in Congress
House Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet
SoundExchange President & CEO Michael Huppe testified before Congress on music licensing hearing issues, June 25, 2014.
Michael laid out for decision makers in Congress what we believe must be the guiding principle for music licensing reform: All creators should receive fair pay, on all platforms and technologies, whenever their music is used. He also highlighted other discrepancies within the music business, including the lack of royalty payments for pre-1972 recording artists, and the failure of lawmakers to hold AM/FM radio to the same standards as other radio providers.
It is our mission to support, protect and propel the digital music industry moving forward.
Witnesses’ written testimonies:
- Mr. Michael Huppe, President and CEO, SoundExchange, Inc.
- Ms. Rosanne Cash, Singer, Songwriter, Author and Performer
- Mr. Cary Sherman, Chairman and CEO, Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
- Mr. Darius Van Arman, Co-Founder, Secretly Group
- Mr. Charles M. Warfield Jr., Senior Advisor, YMF Media, LLC
- Mr. Ed Christian,Chairman, Radio Music License Committee Inc. (RMLC)
- Mr. Paul Williams, President and Chairman of the Board, American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
- Mr. Chris Harrison, Vice President of Business Affairs, Pandora Media Inc.
- Mr. David J. Frear, Chief Financial Officer, Sirius XM Holdings Inc.