SoundExchange 2023 Summer Internship Program
We’re SoundExchange and put quite simply – we’re on a mission to power the future of music. Why? Because we love music, and we value the people behind it.
Since independently forming in 2003, we’ve established ourselves as the premier music tech organization building a fairer, simpler, and creator-focused industry. Through a combination of proprietary solutions, emphasis on data, and advocacy efforts, SoundExchange has worked with 3,600+ digital service providers to collect and distribute more than $9 billion on behalf of over 600,000 creators.
If you’re as passionate about music and championing creators as we are, we want you to join the band! SoundExchange offers a robust 10-week paid internship program each summer for talented, motivated students to work in our Washington, D.C. office. The program is designed to expand exposure to the music tech industry, as well as provide relevant and practical work experience in an area of interest.
As a SoundExchange intern, we’ll welcome you as an integral member of our dedicated and diverse team. You will have the unique opportunity to take on roles similar to those of a full-time hire and dive into projects that contribute to the organization’s mission while growing your skills, forging new professional relationships, and enhancing your resumé.
Internship Opportunities Are Potentially Available Within The Following Areas
- Marketing & Industry Relations
- Communications (Public Relations & Social Media)
- Operations (Data & Royalty Processing)
- Customer Services & Account Management
- Finance & Accounting
- Legal (Licensing & Enforcement)
- Information Technology
- Human Resources
Program Highlights & Details
- $17.50 per hour, interns will also receive a one-time taxable stipend of $1,000.00 to assist with housing and transportation to Washington D.C.
- 35-40 hours per week
- Flexibility to work hybrid (2 days on-site required)
- Participate in a comprehensive educational series and engage with various SoundExchange leaders across the organization
- Build your network with your fellow interns and SoundExchange staff
Internship Key Dates
- Program dates: Approximately June 5, 2023 – August 11, 2023
- Deadline: All applications must be received no later than January 31, 2023
- Internship interviews: January 2023 – February 2023
- Selection & Notification: March 2023
We’re Looking For Superstars That Meet The Following Criteria
- Personify SoundExchange’s Core Values (Excellence, Stewardship, Integrity, Advocacy, Forward Thinking, Teamwork)
- Demonstrate inclusivity, advocacy, and appreciation for diversity in personal, academic, or professional experiences
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Resourceful, have great attention to detail, highly organized
- Ability to collaborate well with others and tackle challenges enthusiastically
- Sharp written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interest in one of the internships areas (listed above)
- Be 18 years of age or older on or before the first day of the internship program
- Undergraduates preferred (heading into your junior or senior year is also preferred); graduate students may still apply
- Be enrolled in a degree-seeking program in an accredited college or university (with a minimum 3.0 GPA), or be a student at a relevant professional boot camp or advanced educational program
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, send your transcript, resumé, and cover letter outlining your interest in SoundExchange and what area(s) you’d prefer to work with during the program to [email protected].
At SoundExchange, we empower creators and help share the future of music. One way we do this is by respecting diverse voices, varied perspectives, and distinct backgrounds of all of our team members. We are intentional in creating an inclusive culture where we recognize that equity is greater than equality and all employees have the opportunities and support needed to thrive. We strive to create teams that reflect the music community we serve – every individual’s unique attributes and abilities are valued, and are part of how we innovate, create, and deliver experiences to the creators we champion.
Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. Employees who are not fully vaccinated will not be permitted to access SoundExchange offices until they are fully vaccinated. As a condition of employment, all SoundExchange employees will be required to be fully vaccinated. SoundExchange will provide reasonable accommodations for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.