Title: Lead Software Engineer (License Management)
Reports To: Director, Engineering
Supervisory Role: Yes
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Remote (U.S.)
SoundExchange is the premier music tech organization on a mission to power the future of music. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 560,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts and to date has paid more than $9 billion in distributions. Through unparalleled innovation of financial tech products and services, it distributes royalties to creator groups, advocates for fair pay across platforms, and creates systems that improve how the industry operates. Its proprietary fintech solutions help turn data into accurate revenue for creators and include Music Data Exchange (MDX) and International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search.
The Lead Software Engineer for our IT Engineering team will be a key contributor to full lifecycle software development while coaching, leading, and mentoring their small technical team. This role oversees the technical details and day-to-day execution of all new features and operational activities within the development team in collaboration with the team project manager. The Lead Engineer is a critical element in our agile delivery process for new features and capabilities to support the expansion of new services for our musical royalties platform.
- You will oversee and direct the work of others and assist in the direction of the engineering organization by developing, releasing, integrating, maintaining, and supporting software applications and systems according to business needs
- You will also be a hands-on lead developer that excels in a dynamic, fast-moving, and agile environment and is passionate about developing high quality, scalable software
- You will be familiar with a variety of enterprise software engineering concepts, models, practices, and processes. You will rely on your considerable experience and judgment to plan and implement new features and platform capabilities
- Leads, develops, and manages a small team of engineers
- Collaborates across small Agile teams to design, develop, test, and support full stack solutions
- Hands-on Technical Lead Developer role in software development projects and activities
- Oversees the delivery of engineering initiatives and projects
- Facilitates architecture discussions and decision-making both within their team and coordination with interfacing teams
- Interfaces with key project stakeholders, mentors team, and promotes and improves software engineering practices
- Demonstrates responsibility, accountability, and dedication to engineering team success
- Assists Senior IT members with company technology strategy and roadmap
- Establishes and promotes use of technologies and processes that lower risk and increase efficiency
- Supports and improves established software development standards and best practices
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
- Proficiency in Agile software development methodology, processes, and practices
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively with team members and business partners
- Experience with Terraform or other infrastructure as code technologies
- Experience building enterprise software with complex business rules, domain models, and data models
- Experience in the following a plus: vue.js, Airflow, Django, Java
- Experience with financial systems is a plus
Required Education, Certifications/ Licenses, Related Experience
- 8+ years of overall software engineering experience
- This position requires the ability to spend most of the work time viewing computer monitors
- If hired remote, this person is expected to travel to the Washington DC corporate office as needed (3-4 times per year).
At SoundExchange, we empower creators and help share the future of music. One way we do this is by respecting diverse voices, varied perspectives, and distinct backgrounds of all of our team members. We are intentional in creating an inclusive culture where we recognize that equity is greater than equality and all employees have the opportunities and support needed to thrive. We strive to create teams that reflect the music community we serve – every individual’s unique attributes and abilities are valued, and are part of how we innovate, create, and deliver experiences to the creators we champion.
Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. Employees who are not fully vaccinated will not be permitted to access SoundExchange offices until they are fully vaccinated. As a condition of employment, all SoundExchange employees will be required to be fully vaccinated. SoundExchange will provide reasonable accommodations for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected].
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.