Title: Security Engineer
Reports To: Chief Technology Officer
Supervisory Role: No
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC or anywhere (Continental U.S.)
SoundExchange is the premier music tech organization on a mission to power the future of music. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 560,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts and to date has paid more than $9 billion in distributions. Through unparalleled innovation of financial tech products and services, it distributes royalties to creator groups, advocates for fair pay across platforms, and creates systems that improve how the industry operates. Its proprietary fintech solutions help turn data into accurate revenue for creators and include Music Data Exchange (MDX) and International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search.
At SoundExchange, we have a cloud-based enterprise software platform and underlying infrastructure to support our rapidly growing and evolving business. We are a highly versatile and technical team, leveraging network engineering, application security, architecture, risk assessment and control alignment. We are seeking an individual to become a member of our IT Infrastructure team as a Security Engineer. This position oversees the end-to-end security of our platforms, networks and systems and works closely with other team members and business stakeholders to provide secure, robust and reliable frameworks and processes.
The Security Engineer provides analysis of known and emerging threats to determine risks against SoundExchange’s assets and infrastructure. This role aligns with IT management on the creation, maintenance, governance, and communication of security policies and standards across the technical environment. This role ensures that compliance is maintained and SoundExchange’s assets are effectively managed and monitored to meet security policies, standards, and criteria. We are seeking an individual who is focused on delivery, prioritizes data-driven decisions over opinions, is a continuous learner, is passionate about information security, and loves their work.
- Oversee the end-to-end security of our platforms, networks and systems, provide risk analysis, implementation guidance and ensure that SoundExchange’s processes and solutions are securely maintained and that the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the company assets is always protected
- Develop security policies, standards and plans to ensure the protection of corporate data against unauthorized use, access, modification and destruction. Promote user awareness and ensure company-wide adherence with defined standards
- Assist in identifying, remediating and mitigating vulnerabilities in our platforms, cloud environments, networks and systems, perform forensic analyses and risk assessments, and ensure timely, appropriate, coordinated, properly communicated and contained incident responses
- Ensure that our users are sufficiently trained on the application of our security tools, practices and policies, and properly and timely informed of the cybersecurity threats and risks that we face as a company
- Deploy adequate security processes and solutions to mitigate and remediate identified risks
- Ensure that systems revisions and patches are constantly up to date
- Ensure that proper security logs are generated and sent to our outside monitoring vendors
- Coordinate security audits and penetration tests, and implements/coordinates remediation efforts as required
- Create, review and present reports, position papers, assessment recaps to team, and other IT leaders
- Interact with internal teams and external vendors on security-related requirements, projects, issues and operational tasks
- Assist in the definition of software development security best practices
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
- Experience working on incident response, assessing and managing security risks, threats and vulnerabilities
- Experience working with security-related systems such as firewalls, IPS, IDS and web filters
- Experience with analyzing security event logs from Windows, UNIX, IPS, network and remote access solutions
- Experience working with a mixed set of Windows, MacOS and Linux endpoints
- Experience working on AWS is a must, experience working on Azure and the Oracle Cloud is also desired
- Proficiency in creating conceptual, logical and physical security diagrams
- Demonstrate proficiency in creating conceptual, logical and physical security diagrams
- Thorough understanding of vulnerabilities and countermeasures
- Detailed understanding of TCP/IP and related communication protocols, Windows authentication mechanisms (Kerberos, NTLM, AD), networking technologies, software defined computing, containerization, routing and switching, and risk analysis and risk management methodologies
- Able to manage multiple priorities and work effectively in a fast-paced, high volume, results driven environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (including reporting and presentations)
- Solid knowledge of information security principles and practices as well as latest scalable technologies
Required Education, Certifications/ Licenses, Related Experience
- BS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or similar degree highly desired
- 5 years of information technology experience in an enterprise environment
- 3 years of relevant experience working as a security engineer or similar position
- This position requires the ability to remain in a stationary position (standing and/or seated) more than half the time
- This position requires the ability to spend all of the time viewing computer monitors
- If hired remote, this person is expected to travel to the Washington DC corporate office as needed (3-4 times per year).
At SoundExchange, we empower creators and help share the future of music. One way we do this is by respecting diverse voices, varied perspectives, and distinct backgrounds of all of our team members. We are intentional in creating an inclusive culture where we recognize that equity is greater than equality and all employees have the opportunities and support needed to thrive. We strive to create teams that reflect the music community we serve – every individual’s unique attributes and abilities are valued, and are part of how we innovate, create, and deliver experiences to the creators we champion.
Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. Employees who are not fully vaccinated will not be permitted to access SoundExchange offices until they are fully vaccinated. As a condition of employment, all SoundExchange employees will be required to be fully vaccinated. SoundExchange will provide reasonable accommodations for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected].
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.