Title: Specialist, Corporate Communications
Reports To: Sr. Communications Manager
Supervisory Role: No
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC or anywhere (Continental US)
SoundExchange is the premier music tech organization on a mission to power the future of music. It was independently formed in 2003 to build a fairer, simpler, and more efficient music industry through technology, data, and advocacy. The only organization designated by the U.S. government to administer the Section 114 sound recording license, SoundExchange collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of 600,000 music creators and growing. Through proprietary music tech solutions that turn data into accurate revenue, SoundExchange has paid more than $9 billion in distributions to date.
The Specialist, Corporate Communications is responsible for assisting the SoundExchange Communications team in the execution of comprehensive internal and external communications strategies to build awareness and equity for the company and its portfolio of assets.
This person works to understand and convey the SoundExchange story as the organization continues to evolve, expand its offerings, and undergo a long-view business transformation. This collaborative specialist reports to the Sr. Communications Manager and is comfortable working with teams in hybrid and virtual environments.
SoundExchange is based in Washington, D.C. This full-time role could be based anywhere in the continental United States.
- Internal and external newsletter management, prep, drafting, editing, and review
- Website content management
- Support team development and execution of an editorial calendar
- Collaborate across departments and contribute to a variety of compelling communications materials, from newsletters and website content to press releases and presentations
- Perform other communications related duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to communicate clearly and effectively with varied audiences
- Close attention to detail and quality
- Proven ability to navigate a fluid and dynamic environment with multiple priorities and deadlines
- Understanding of digital communications tools with an ability to adapt to new platforms
- A passion for music and creators
- Keen understanding of current news landscape
- Tech and social media savvy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Highest levels of ethics, work ethic, and engagement
- Experience with WordPress is a plus
- Experience with Salesforce is a plus
- Experience creating and designing PowerPoint presentations is a plus
- Experience in communications in the music or entertainment industry is a plus
Required Education, Certifications/ Licenses, Related Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, or related field or equivalent work experience preferred
- Three or more years of experience in a related field required
- This position requires the ability to remain in a stationary position (standing and/or seated) all of the time
- The person in this position may need to move about the corporate office(s) less than half the time
- This position operates machinery and/or equipment that requires the constant use of hands/fingers/wrists (ex: typing, etc.) all of the time
- This position requires the ability to spend all of the time viewing computer monitors
- The person in this position must be able to identify and distinguish between colors more than half the time
- This position requires overnight domestic travel less than 25% of the time
- Anticipated travel will be by car, air, and/or train
At SoundExchange, we empower creators and help share the future of music. One way we do this is by respecting diverse voices, varied perspectives, and distinct backgrounds of all of our team members. We are intentional in creating an inclusive culture where we recognize that equity is greater than equality and all employees have the opportunities and support needed to thrive. We strive to create teams that reflect the music community we serve – every individual’s unique attributes and abilities are valued, and are part of how we innovate, create, and deliver experiences to the creators we champion.
Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. Employees who are not fully vaccinated will not be permitted to access SoundExchange offices until they are fully vaccinated. As a condition of employment, all SoundExchange employees will be required to be fully vaccinated. SoundExchange will provide reasonable accommodations for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected].
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.