SoundExchange is an independent digital collective management organization that represents the entire recorded music industry. SoundExchange’s mission is to support, protect and propel the music industry forward.
As a key member of the executive team, the SVP is responsible for setting a strategic vision for SoundExchange’s external communications and public relations (PR) efforts and leading a team that will position SoundExchange as an innovative leader in the music industry.
The ongoing responsibilities include the following:
- Build, maintain, and improve strategic relationships with media representatives and key industry players. Enhance and improve SoundExchange’s reputation in the industry while ensuring it reflects the organization’s mission and values.
- Maintain a wide perspective of the issues, including regulatory, political and international, that impact SoundExchange and the community it serves. Proactively drive corporate strategy and message development, pitch and announcement strategies.
- Serve as a spokesperson for SoundExchange as well as the trusted communications advisor to the President & CEO.
- Think creatively and proactively to produce opportunities that improve the visibility and profile of the President & CEO and other senior executives based on predetermined strategic goals. Develop and implement thoughtful media plans around each opportunity. Ensure that all media engagements for the President & CEO are fully vetted and fully leveraged.
- Proactively leverage SoundExchange’s assets to develop innovative partnerships with industry allies.
- Develop, maintain, and execute rapid response planning, as needed.
- Lead, manage, develop, and mentor a team of high-performing communications professionals.
- Supervise day-to-day media relations efforts and press announcements. Facilitate and staff media requests for senior executives and prepare executives for interviews with messaging, background, etc.
- Oversee SoundExchange’s marketing and branding, internal employee communications programs, and social media programs.
- Oversee the coordination of the marketing efforts related to conferences and events where the Industry Relations team determines SoundExchange will have a presence
- Effectively and efficiently manage project budgets to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery while meeting agreed to project objectives.
Skills and Qualifications:
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 15+ years of experience in communications roles with progressive responsibility, with some experience in music, entertainment, entertainment software and/or relevant trade organizations or related intellectual property fields. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of public policy gained from having worked for or represented an organization supporting various constituencies such as an industry coalition or trade association. Experience with the technology industry is a plus.
The final candidate will have many of the following experiences, skills, and personal attributes:
- Proven track record as a senior communications executive responsible for strategic public relations in the entertainment or technology industry.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Strong passion for and knowledge of the music and entertainment industry, and a desire to be active in the future of digital rights. Issues are often very complex and highly-nuanced.
- A track record of working collaboratively with internal and external resources to develop and implement proactive, thoughtful, creative, and impactful communications plans around significant events.
- A track record of developing and maintaining well-established, solid relationships with key media and industry representatives, along with the demonstrated skill, comfort, and drive to build new relationships as appropriate.
- Outstanding oral presentation and written communications skills with a remarkable professional presence.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact and build consensus internally with key influencers and stakeholders.
- A confident and highly capable manner with the ability to withstand challenges and push back while still being open-minded and flexible. An eager learner who can quickly understand the key aspects of the business, industry, and key players.
- Proven capacity to successfully multi-task in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment with the ability to maintain poise under pressure.
- Proven ability to perform in a collaborative, team-oriented environment with a strong customer orientation (internal and external).
- A hands-on, “roll up the sleeves,” action-oriented approach coupled with a comfort of working with a small communications team.
- Must be impeccably honest and ethical. A successful executive who is smart, passionate, energetic, and results focused.
An undergraduate degree in communications, media, public policy, or other related field, or equivalent experience is required. An advanced degree in related field is preferred.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.