This category is intended for Small Webcasters who are “hobbyist” level services, with low annual Gross Revenues, low annual Expenses and online listenership fewer than 18,067 aggregate tuning hours annually, which is approximately 49 listeners each listening for one hour per day. Full rates and terms are described at 74 Fed. Reg. 9293, 9302 Appendix C (Mar. 3, 2009).
1) Notice of Election:
- Due Date. Services must annually elect (using the minimum fee Statement of Account) prior to January 31 each year. New services beginning streaming on or after February 1 may elect concurrent with their timely submission of the minimum fee Statement of Account form.
- Binding Nature of Election. Services, upon election, are required to operate within the category for all eligible statutory licensing activity through the end of the applicable year.
2) Eligibility Requirements: Microcasters must meet the below requirements for the preceding calendar year and must reasonably expect to meet them for the applicable calendar year:
- Annual Gross Revenues (including Gross Revenues of Affiliates, Third Party Participation Revenues, and Revenues from a New Subscription Service) of less than $5,000.
- Annual Expenses less than $10,000.
- Annual listenership of less than 18,067 aggregate tuning hours.
3) Minimum Fee and Minimum Fee SOA:
- Amount: $500. All payments must be accompanied by a signed and completed minimum fee Statement of Account.
- If payment is owed, the Statement of Account (accompanied by payment) should be mailed, if using regular mail to: SoundExchange, Inc, P.O. Box 75202, Baltimore, MD 21275-5202. If you are using overnight delivery send to: Lockbox Services 75202 Wells Fargo Bank 7175 Columbia Gateway Drive Attn: SoundExchange, Inc., Lockbox 75202 Columbia, MD. Tel.: 1-800-289-3557.
- Payment must be in the form of a check, money order, or direct bank wire (or ACH payment). For assistance in delivering money via bank wire, please contact SoundExchange at 202.640.5858 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
- Due date: Annual, on or before January 31. New services beginning streaming on or after February 1 must submit payment within 45 days after the end of the month in which initial streaming occurs.
4) Reporting Waiver: Microcasters waive the requirement to submit monthly Reports of Use during the applicable calendar year by timely submitting their election (using the minimum fee Statement of Account form) and an additional $100 waiver fee.
5) Late Payments:
The late fee program is designed to catch all late payments, any statement of account or any report of use on a month to month basis. A Licensee is required to pay a late fee of 1.5% per month (0.75% for Business Establishment Services; increase to 1.0% effective January 1, 2014) for any payment and/or statements of account received by the collective after the due date. Late fees accrue from the due date of this payment, statement of account or report of use until payment and the related statement of account are received by the collective.