This is the category for Broadcasters which have low online listenership, accruing fewer than 27,777 aggregate tuning hours (“ATH”) annually. This is the equivalent of approximately 70 listeners each listening to the stream for an hour a day. Full rates and terms are available at 37 CFR 380 Subpart B.
2016 – 2020
This category is not part of the 2016-2020 webcasting rates and terms. Applicable services may wish to operate in 2016 as a Commercial Webcaster (CRB).
1) Notice of Election:
- Due Date: Services must elect within 30 days after their initial streaming date, or before January 31, whichever is later. Services may notify SoundExchange of their election via e-mail email@example.com, provided that they submit their minimum fee Statement of Account in a timely manner.
- Binding Nature of Election: Services, upon election, are required to operate within the category for all eligible statutory licensing activity through the end of the applicable year.
2) Eligibility Requirements:
Small Broadcasters must be Broadcasters which:
- timely elect,
- have listenership that did not exceed 27,777 aggregate tuning hours in the previous calendar year, and
- reasonably expect to not exceed 27,777 aggregate tuning hours in the applicable calendar year.
3) Minimum Fees and Minimum Fee SOA:
- Amount: $500, per station or channel, not to exceed $50,000 (if a service has more than 100 stations or channels). All payments must be accompanied by a signed and completed minimum fee Statement of Account.
- Recuperability of Minimum Fee: The minimum fee is credited against monthly liability accrued within the same calendar year. Services do not submit additional payment for that year until they have exceeded the minimum fee.
- Due date: Annual, on or before January 31. New services beginning streaming on or after February 1 are required to pay minimum fees within 45 days after the end of the month in which streaming first occurs.
4) Liability Rate, Payment, and Monthly SOA:
- 2011: $0.0017 per performance
- 2012: $0.0020 per performance
- 2013: $0.0022 per performance
- 2014: $0.0023 per performance
- 2015: $0.0025 per performance
- Payment and Monthly SOA: Services must submit a Statement of Account each month, calculating the liability owed for that month, within 45 days after the end of that month, accompanied by any payment indicated on the form (if any). Statements of Account must be certified with a handwritten signature.
- If no payment is owed, Statements of Account may be submitted via e-mail as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via fax to 202.640.5883.
- If payment is owed, the Statement of Account (accompanied by payment) should be mailed, if using regular mail to SoundExchange, Inc, P.O. Box 75202, Baltimore, MD 21275-5202. If you are using overnight delivery send to: Lockbox Services 75202 Wells Fargo Bank 7175 Columbia Gateway Drive Attn: SoundExchange, Inc., Lockbox 75202 Columbia, MD. Tel.: 1-800-289-3557.
- Payment must be in the form of a check, money order, or direct bank wire (or ACH payment). For assistance in delivering money via bank wire, please contact SoundExchange at 202.640.5858 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
5) Reporting Waiver:
Small Broadcasters are able to waive the requirement to submit monthly Reports of Use by timely submitting their election (using the minimum fee Statement of Account form) and an additional $100 waiver fee per station or channel.
6) Late Payments and Monthly SOA:
The late fee program is designed to catch all late payments, any statement of account or any report of use on a month to month basis. A Licensee is required to pay a late fee of 1.5% per month (0.75% for Business Establishment Services; increase to 1.0% effective January 1, 2014) for any payment and/or statements of account received by the collective after the due date. Late fees accrue from the due date of this payment, statement of account or report of use until payment and the related statement of account are received by the collective.