Title: Lead Software Engineer
Reports To: Director, Engineering
Supervisory Role: No
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC or anywhere (Continental US)
SoundExchange is the premier music tech organization on a mission to power the future of music. It was independently formed in 2003 to build a fairer, simpler, and more efficient music industry through technology, data, and advocacy. The only organization designated by the U.S. government to administer the Section 114 sound recording license, SoundExchange collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of 650,000 music creators and growing. Through proprietary music tech solutions that turn data into accurate revenue, SoundExchange has paid more than $9 billion in distributions to date.
The Lead Software Engineer for our Music Publishing Rights Management team will be a key contributor to full lifecycle software development while coaching, leading, and mentoring their small technical team. This role oversees the technical details and day-to-day execution of all new features and operational activities within the development team in collaboration with the technical product owner. The Lead Engineer is a critical element in our agile delivery process for new features and capabilities to support our growing musical royalties platform.
- Provide hands-on technical leadership to a small team of software engineers
- Collaborate across small Agile teams to design, develop, test, and support data driven solutions
- Facilitate architecture discussions and decision-making both within their team and coordination with interfacing teams
- Interface with key project stakeholders, mentor team members, and promote and improve software engineering practices
- Demonstrate responsibility, accountability, and dedication to engineering team success
- Establish and promote use of technologies and processes that lower risk and increase efficiency
- Support and improve established software development standards and best practices
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
- Proficiency at designing and developing software using many of the following: Java (Spring Boot, JPA/Hibernate), SQL (Postgres), AWS (S3, Fargate, ElastiCache, RDS), Terraform
- Experience building enterprise software with complex business rules and data models
- Experience designing and developing microservices or other distributed systems
- Experience with scaling to work with large data sets
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively with team members and business partners
- Proficiency in Agile software development methodology, processes, and practices
Required Education, Certifications/ Licenses, Related Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Seven or more years of experience in software engineering
- At least two years of experience leading a software engineering team
- This position requires the ability to remain in a stationary position (standing and/or seated) all of the time
- This position requires the ability to spend all of the time viewing computer monitors
- If hired remote, this person is expected to travel to the Washington DC corporate office as needed (3-4 times per year).
At SoundExchange, we empower creators and help share the future of music. One way we do this is by respecting diverse voices, varied perspectives, and distinct backgrounds of all of our team members. We are intentional in creating an inclusive culture where we recognize that equity is greater than equality and all employees have the opportunities and support needed to thrive. We strive to create teams that reflect the music community we serve – every individual’s unique attributes and abilities are valued, and are part of how we innovate, create, and deliver experiences to the creators we champion.
Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. Employees who are not fully vaccinated will not be permitted to access SoundExchange offices until they are fully vaccinated. As a condition of employment, all SoundExchange employees will be required to be fully vaccinated. SoundExchange will provide reasonable accommodations for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected].
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.