Title: Lead Software Engineer
Reports To: Director of Engineering
Supervisory Role: Yes
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC or anywhere (Continental U.S.)
SoundExchange is the premier music tech organization on a mission to power the future of music. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 560,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts and to date has paid more than $9 billion in distributions. Through unparalleled innovation of financial tech products and services, it distributes royalties to creator groups, advocates for fair pay across platforms, and creates systems that improve how the industry operates. Its proprietary fintech solutions help turn data into accurate revenue for creators and include Music Data Exchange (MDX) and International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search.
We’re hiring a Lead Software Engineer with strong Python and Django experience that will be contributors to the full lifecycle of our software development process as part of our Portals team. These portals are responsible for users getting registered and helping them collect approximately 1 billion dollars a year in royalty payments.
- Contribute as a hands-on engineer to a small full-lifecycle software development team including design, development, and deployment including automated and functional/behavior-driven testing
- Develop new features in a highly collaborative environment
- Follow and improve software development best practices to achieve a high level of quality, maintainability, and security
- Work with team and stakeholders to create clean, maintainable technical solutions to complex business problems
- Lead software design and development process by bringing new ideas and alternative ways of solving problems, leading design sessions, and improving quality of code through code reviews and other quality metrics
- Supervise, manage, and direct a team of one or more employees
- Train or guide the work of other team members on occasion
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
- 7+ years of overall software experience
- Proficiency with Python and Django
- Experience deploying and maintaining cloud applications including at least two of the following AWS services or their equivalents: RDS, Lambda, Batch, Step Functions, SQS
- Experience with containers
- Experience in Agile software development methodology, teams, processes, and practices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Required Education, Certifications/ Licenses, Related Experience
- Experience with upgrading/modernizing applications in place
- Experience with front-end development using Typescript or Vue
- Experience with Terraform or other Infrastructure as Code technologies
- Experience with monitoring tools like New Relic, Splunk, or Datadog
- This position requires the ability to spend all the time viewing computer monitors
- If hired remote, this person is expected to travel to the Washington DC corporate office as needed (3-4 times per year).
At SoundExchange, we empower creators and help share the future of music. One way we do this is by respecting diverse voices, varied perspectives, and distinct backgrounds of all of our team members. We are intentional in creating an inclusive culture where we recognize that equity is greater than equality and all employees have the opportunities and support needed to thrive. We strive to create teams that reflect the music community we serve – every individual’s unique attributes and abilities are valued, and are part of how we innovate, create, and deliver experiences to the creators we champion.
Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. Employees who are not fully vaccinated will not be permitted to access SoundExchange offices until they are fully vaccinated. As a condition of employment, all SoundExchange employees will be required to be fully vaccinated. SoundExchange will provide reasonable accommodations for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected].
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.