Since forming in 2003, we have established ourselves as the premier music tech organization with a mission of building a fairer, simpler, and creator‐focused industry. Through a combination of proprietary solutions, emphasis on data, and advocacy efforts, SoundExchange works with 3,600+ digital service providers to collect and distribute digital performance royalties – more than $10 billion – on behalf of over 650,000 creators and rights owners.
Title: Senior Software Engineer
Job Location: Washington, DC or anywhere (Continental US)
Reports To: Director, Engineering
Supervisory Role: No
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Senior Software Engineer for our Distribution Processing team will be a key contributor to full lifecycle software development. This role is a primary contributor to the software development process for one or more applications, and collaborates across the engineering organization to ensure efficient development and delivery of technical solutions. The Senior Engineer is a critical element in our agile delivery process for new features and capabilities to support our growing music and technology products and solutions.
• Contribute as a code author and reviewer within a small team of software engineers
• Collaborate across small Agile teams to design, develop, test, and support data driven solutions
• Facilitate architecture discussions and decision-making both within their team and coordination with interfacing teams
• Interface with key project stakeholders, mentor team members, and promote and improve software engineering practices
• Demonstrate responsibility, accountability, and dedication to engineering team success
• Establish and promote use of technologies and processes that lower risk and increase efficiency
• Support and improve established software development standards and best practices
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
• Proficiency at designing and developing software using many of the following: [Java (Spring Boot, JPA/Hibernate) or Python (Django)], SQL (Postgres), AWS (S3, Fargate, ElastiCache, RDS), Terraform, Athena, Fargate, Step Functions, ElasticSearch
• Experience building enterprise software with complex business rules and data models
• Experience designing and developing microservices or other distributed systems
• Experience with scaling to work with large data sets
• Ability to influence and communicate effectively with team members and business partners at a senior engineer level
• Proficiency in Agile software development methodology, processes, and practices
Required Education, Certifications/ Licenses, Related Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience
• Five or more years of experience in software engineering, preferably with prior experience in a senior engineer role
• This position requires the ability to remain in a stationary position (standing and/or seated) all of the time
• This position requires the ability to spend all of the time viewing computer monitors
• If hired remote, this person is expected to travel to the Washington DC corporate office as needed (3-4 times per year).
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.
At SoundExchange, we empower creators and help share the future of music. One way we do this is by respecting our team members' diverse voices, varied perspectives, and distinct backgrounds. We are intentional in creating an inclusive culture where we recognize that equity is greater than equality and all employees have the opportunities and support needed to thrive. We strive to create teams that reflect the music community we serve – every individual’s unique attributes and abilities are valued and are part of how we innovate, create, and deliver experiences to the creators we champion.
SoundExchange is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the SoundExchange Careers website as a result of your disability. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. If you need an accommodation, please email [email protected]